Lauderdale County, Alabama
George P. Jones
Contributor: Pat M. Mahan
GEORGE P. JONES, a leading citizen and prominent attorney of Florence, Ala., and a member of the well known law firm of Simpson & Jones, was born near Russellville, Ala., January 11, 1850. He is a son of Hon. Henry C. Jones, one of the oldest and most prominent of the Florence bar, who since 1874, has filled the office of solicitor for the eighth judicial district. George P. Jones was educated in Florence, and after reading law with Chancellor Keyes, was admitted to the bar in 1871. In 1872, he began the practice of law, and has ever since then continued to follow It with success. At the present time he is recognized as one of the leading members of the bar. The firm of Simpson & Jones was formed in 1885. Mr. Jones is president of the board of directors of the state normal college, to which position he was elected in 1887, and he is regarded as one of the most public-spirited citizens of northern Alabama.
Source: Memorial Record of Alabama. Vol. II. Brant & Fuller. Madison, Wis., 1893. p. 358]